Monday, October 17, 2011

Not what I planned.....

                I well have mentioned this afore times, but sometimes I get so lost in myself, trying to achieve things that are absurdly out of my reach, trying to perhaps be somebody that I’d like to be but that fate and circumstance degree otherwise and so I remain this searching soul. With that I then become morose with feelings of failure and of losing the sense of who I truly am and what the hell is the point of all! Perhaps for all you more ‘well rounded’ individuals out there this does not make too much sense, well perhaps it doesn’t. I find it hard to explain the inner turmoil that sometimes threatens to overwhelm me and just make me give up on everything like walking, blogging, fishing, and generally trying leading a life that is morally right and just say "stuff it, work the grind, go home, get pissed sleep and get up for the grind once more". Well why not? It seems to work for so many numpties that I know so why should I be any different? Why should I give a damn? Why the hell should I give stuff about anything and instead just bury me head in the sand and say bollocks to it all?

                I’ll bloody well tell you why, it’s because I do. Something, that I cannot find the words to explain, courses deep within me making me look around at all the shit that this living bacteria that is the human race does to this planet and to each other, without a second thought for the consequences and the hell that we’re eventually going to bring crashing down around our ears and if this rotund Welsh Hobbit can make the smallest of differences then I bloody well should, and if I can convince just one other person to make a small difference then even better – acorns n oak trees come to mind..... Whoa hang on a moment is this the rambling, blustering and generally filled with nonsense blog that my fine readers have come to expect, me thinks the answer to that would be a huge no, after all I did mention in a previous post that I’ll try and keep this an uplifting type of blog, at least I cannot fail at that dear reader.

                But having said that I am human (well sort of), with all the failings and neurosis that comes with it. So saying, even I am apt to have an off day or three. Take this morning; oh please do, last night I went to bed with my head filled with notions of being an accomplished photographer and sharing such dazzling images of wildlife with you so increasing my standing before my fellow men. Idiot, fool of a Took even!  I have enough trouble finding adequate words for this blog let alone try to be something else that I’m not! Anyway back to the plot, awoken by the alarm droning in my ear I realised that I’d already made a mistake as a quick look outside revealed a lightening sky, not sun up yet but getting brighter – I should have been ensconced in my pond side location already, awaiting all manner of wee beasties to photograph. So the mad rush began; feed the bloody chickens, make a brew (I really cannot function without at least one gallon of tea in the morning), gather the gear together (really should have done this last night), pat the mournful looking Warthog on her head  and set off in a sedate manner. Erm... well not quite sedate the poor ol’ fun cruiser has not seen a turn of speed like this for some time and by the time that I’d reached Nercwys woods the adrenaline was racing through my body. What I have not mentioned so far is that I purloined Clare’s camera for this sortie hoping indeed to improve the photographs taken. Ah pride cometh before a fall as they say, although the same make as my own little snappy camera with very similar functions I has absolutely no idea how to get the best out of it. Entrenched beneath a hawthorn bush, sheltering from blustering wind and drizzle, alongside the pond where I hoped to take some photographs other than my usual fair, i.e. something that moved instead of static stuff, I floundered woefully. When the one real opportunity to take a really good shot arose I only managed to get the blurriest image imaginable. It was a badger and I’ve never been so close to one in my life! And yours truly managed to drop the ball totally, missing the shot and also spooking the animal before I could reorganise myself. Instead of feeling honored as I should to have been so close to such a beast my mood darkened and I decided to call it a day. Heading at first back towards to the car I tried taking photographs of the usual fair with Clare's camera but whether it was my foul mood or just the lack of familiarity with the camera absolutely nothing went right. I was exasperated and began asking myself as to whether it was worth it all, hence the ramble at the start of the post.
Supposed to be the sun through trees?



Not good are they?


                Funny thing nature as is friendship you know, as I sat down trying to collect my thoughts I caught sight of my staff laid to one side. 




                Staring at me was the carving that a true friend from across the pond had sent me the design for many months ago. This person has certainly been through the mill but their words and care for others never stopped. I hardly get to speak to them now as their path has taken a turn for the better and their life seems to be filling with joy once more, which makes me sad for the lack of contact but overjoyed that they have turned the corner and find life good again. Looking at that design first made me think of the pain they have been through but then of the love for life and others that shines through them so brightly. Taking hold of that staff this morning was like taking hold of Leigh’s hand and the joy that came with it was immense, chasing those demons that once more threatened my mind away once more. Thank you Leigh and fare ye well.

                I turned around and headed back into the woods, just wandering and soaking in the air, smells and feeling of belonging once more. In my hand I found my own camera once more and I wondered why on earth I had wanted to be bigger, better – after all it’s not me is it? So yes there are some pictures for you to glance at, not brilliant as usual but at least they tell the tale of the walk and show the world as I see it.










Vanity, tis a terrible curse....




I'm suspecting mice....




                As I strolled I found myself singing! Yep lung burstingly singing as I strode beneath the whispering canopy of the trees, perhaps they too thought that I was unhinged? But I’d found my balance once more. Some more sights to interest you;




                Interestingly though this tiny oak, together with a fir in another, were growing in bowls of a beech tree where its branches had been removed some time ago, funny thing nature.





                There were signs of death, firstly a pigeon had met its demise, probably at the talons of a raptor as the quills of the feathers had been pulled and not chewed off.




And secondly what I think may be a magpie’s remains – this time I suspect a furry culprit as the quills here were chewed. Oh whilst I think on if any of you fly fisher folk would like these green oily coloured feathers drop me a line and I’ll post them along with some patterned chicken feathers, yes even to America ya buggers.









And at the end of the walk yours truly even caught something furry on his camera, not a badger maybe but at least it counts;


Told you so......the fungus nibbler...

So there we have it from morose to happy in the length of a walk in the woods. Oh and with the promise of some photographic help from a new acquaintance, Max, maybe someday I’ll get that badger. But it does not really matter in the great scheme of things in the end. My balance, for now, is restored so all is good. Even the Warthog forgave my walking without her.





Thank you once more for your indulgence, ‘till the next time take good care.

Your friend, John

               

11 comments:

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Hello there, you sound like you are a pretty normal human to me. Plenty of us around on that moodal roller coaster. I came over from John Gray at your mention of sloe gin. No chance of me trying any of yours, and 'cause sloes don't grow where I live I can't make it either. Instead I've enjoyed your woodland walk through the lens of your own camera. Fantastic shots in my opinion and fancy getting the wee mouse as you did. Sometimes the camera becomes too important and we let it get in the way of real experience. But you understand that as well as me.

Keith said...

Well the sun through the trees does not quite do it for me, but the other images are great.
Thank you.
Regards, Keith.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

e.m.b. said...

I am horribly un-well-rounded -- if that makes any sense. Continual self-loathing, discontent, questioning...my grandmother says I'm of a "melancholy disposition." Daily I question what the hell I'm writing for anyway. Then I discover some small thing...and I want to share it with the world -- like a mouse, nibbling a mushroom. I want to write the world as I see it. Does it matter? Probably not...to me or anyone else. But for some reason, I must do it. I needed to read this post of yours more than anything today -- the writing and the photos. Thank you so much. You've made my spirit much lighter. Cheers.

Mark Kautz said...

I'm glad we're here, when you need someone to talk to. Tis good to vent.

Mark

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad you're in a better mood. I miss Leigh's posts; I wish she'd get back to it. Of course, I'm sure they'd be somewhat different than before, since every experience changes us.

Owl said...

Thanks for this post John,

I didn't have the best start to the day (waking up early to clear up after an ill dog). This post has been the first thing to raise my spirits today and that is really worth something to me.

Have a great day.

Meanqueen said...

That's a very emotional post, we can all feel like crap sometimes, if we didn't we wouldn't be normal. Your woodland pictures are lovely, I like the last two feather ones. Enjoy your walks.

John Going Gently said...

john..
you are always on a bit of a journey
we all are...
at least you know this being a sensitive soul!

spotted face said...

"I love it when a plan comes together!" Now if they just would. Been there and done that my man, and being human, you'll probably have a few more days like this.

I would say don't fret over the pics you present here. We all would like to get better at that! And, it's my opinion that you should try to get out and do some more walking. Sounds like it does you good.

Take care!

Bobby said...

Nice walk. enjoyed it. Thanks.

murphyfish said...

Hello to one n all, old and new friends sorry for not replying to comments but time in all that. take care
John